Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mouthwash vs. Osteoporosis

I don't know if this is true, but it is very suspicious.

I found that my molar tooth might have a cavity. We thought that it will help me to prevent teeth cavity if I use mouthwash twice per day after lunch and before sleep, so we went to buy one bottle of LISTERINE® TOTAL CARE Anticavity Mouthwash last Thursday night.

I used it in Thursday night and Friday noon, then I had a terrible pain in the left side of my left knee in Friday night. It is a one-spot type of pain. I forgot to use it in Friday night and the weekend, then the pain was gone on Sunday.

I used it again in this Monday night and Tuesday noon, then I got another terrible pain on several spots in the left side of my left knee in Tuesday night. It is so painful that I almost couldn't stand up and walk well with my left leg.

We are wondering if this pain is a osteoporosis due by mouthwash I used, so I did not use the mouthwash yesterday and my pain has been relieved very much now. The reason that we are suspicious my pain is caused by this mouthwash is because it contains fluoride and fluoride will increase the chance of osteoporosis.

What should I do now? I want to prevent teeth cavity, but I don't want osteoporosis. I still don't want the pain even it is not due to osteoporosis.

=============================
On the label of LISTERINE® TOTAL CARE

Take advantage of 6 benefits in one mouthwash: Helps Prevent Cavities, Restores Minerals to Enamel, Strengthens Teeth, Kills Bad Breath Germs, Freshens Breath, and Fights Unsightly Plaque Above the Gum Line.

Active ingredient: Sodium fluoride 0.0221% (0.01% w/v fluoride ion) (Purpose: Anticavity)

Use: aids in the prevention of dental cavities

Warnings: Keep out of reach of children. If more than used for rinsing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Directions
• Adults and children 12 years of age and older: use twice daily after brushing your teeth with a toothpaste, vigorously swish 10 mL (2 teaspoonfuls) of rinse
between your teeth for 1 minute and then spit out, do not swallow the rinse, do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after rinsing, supervise children as necessary until capable of using without supervision
• Children under 12 years of age: consult a dentist or doctor.

Other information: store at controlled room temperature 20° - 25°C (68° - 77°F), cold weather may temporarily cloud this product

Inactive ingredients: water, sorbitol solution, alcohol (21.6%), flavors, poloxamer 407, sodium lauryl sulfate, phosphoric acid, sucralose, dibasic sodium phosphate, D&C red No. 33, FD&C blue No. 1

Questions? Call 1-888-222-0182

No comments: