Monday, September 5, 2011

Something to replace discontinued Google Dictionary

I am still not happy that Google stopped Google Dictionary on Aug 5, 2011 suddenly. Google translate sucks. It is nonsense to do whole web search just for the definition(s) of a word.

If I just need to use English to write English stuff, then it is fine to use "define" web search. Unfortunately I need to write and read things between different languages, then an English <> multi-language dictionary is necessary. I have stopped my proposal writing since Aug 6, 2011 because I have trouble to translate those information and terms from English and Japanese papers to Traditional Chinese and vice versa now.

I need a good online dictionary which can keep updating the definition and example sentences of many words. I don't think Google will bring Google Dictionary back, so I am trying something new. Dictionary Blend and http://dictionary.easisee.com/ are on my list.

==================
Some links:

Google closes its Dictionary site, wants you to "search" for definitions instead

Google Dictionary and service for a variety of online dictionaries

Why is google dictionary no longer available?
(Note) This is Google's official site. I don't think that Google has intention to solve or fix the problem. Anyway it is useless and improper to say any bad word toward anyone.

EASISEE Dictionary
(Note)I don't know who created this, but I think this might be a possible good one. More detail information is on Google's Unofficial Dictionary API. I will need to try more word search to see if it works well. It is quite similar to old google dictionary. It gives translation, example sentences and links to more information. Its interface is very simple and clean.

No More Standalone Google Dictionary

No comments: