Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Harvey Milk

I happened to read an article about the movie "Milk" and the story of Harvey Milk. His words are so moving. They remind me my dreams which have been hiding for a while due to some painful personal experiences.

Some words from Harvey Milk:
"I am not a candidate, I am part of a movement. The movement is the candidate."

"I ask this... If there should be an assassination, I would hope that five, ten, one hundred, a thousand would rise.
I would like to see every gay lawyer, every gay architect come out ...
If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door... And that's all.
I ask for the movement to continue.
Because it's not about personal gain, not about ego, not about power... it's about the "us's" out there.
Not only gays, but the Blacks, the Asians, the disabled, the seniors, the us's.
Without hope, the us's give up."

Milk in ezone's blog: 「1973年,美國精神醫學會首次將「同性戀」行為從疾病分類系統中去除。在此之前「同性戀」行為被視為違法,同性戀者被強制送院接受治療。」

為同志爭取平等權益而投身政治這條路的美國同志運動人士Harvey Bernard Milk( 1930年5月22日 - 1978年11月27日),是美國政壇第一位公開同志身份的人,在1978年當選舊金山市政管理委員會第五區的委員。

Milk (film) in imdb: The story of Harvey Milk, and his struggles as an American gay activist who fought for gay rights and became California's first openly gay elected official.

wiki about Harvey Milk: Harvey Bernard Milk (May 22, 1930 – November 27, 1978) was an American politician and the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

wiki about Milk (film): Milk is a 2008 American biographical film on the life of LGBT rights activist and politician Harvey Milk, who was the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California, and one of the first three in the United States as a whole, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

No comments: